A rectangular concrete blockhouse was built in the grounds in 1954, opening in March 1955, this was Woolwich Sub Control, reporting to the main Woolwich Borough Control in Southwood Road, New Eltham which had opened the previous year.
Both bunkers were identical and were built by the same contractor. From 1965 it became a Sector Post remaining operational until the disbanding of the Civil Defence Corps in 1968.
The building is still in excellent internal and external condition and is used as part of a community centre. At one end of the building there is a covered porch with a door opening directly onto the spine corridor. Most of the rooms have been completely stripped and changed and it is difficult to ascertain their original use.
The first room on the right is the plant room and still contains electrical switch gear with the original ventilation plant and trunking in good working order.
The standby generator has been removed although a concrete plinth on the floor indicates it’s position.
One of the other rooms on the right hand side of the corridor is now used as a photographic studio.